Katherine P. Langan
Member , Louisville KY
Katie is a Partner in Stoll Keenon Ogden’s Louisville office. She joined the firm in 2021 and contributes to the Trusts & Estates and Business Services practice groups.
Katie specializes in complex estate planning and probate administration, estate, gift, and inheritance tax planning, fiduciary representation, and business succession planning. She brings both expertise and empathy to the process, working closely with her clients to create plans that accurately represent those clients’ interests while navigating sometimes difficult family dynamics. Her commitment to her clients continues should probate concerns or litigation arise. Katie also works closely with fiduciaries, including Executors, Trustees, and Agents, assisting with trust and estate administration, beneficiary disputes, trust modifications and decanting, and fiduciary litigation.
Trusts & Estates: Katie and her colleagues work with clients to develop estate plans that reflect the client’s needs and desires as well as federal and state tax optimization and strategic distribution of retirement assets. Recognizing that estate planning is more than a legal issue, they regularly consult with clients’ financial advisors and accountants to ensure that the client’s entire planning team is working together.
Business Services: Katie supports companies of all sizes on matters ranging from incorporation to litigation to succession planning. Her goal is always to help clients succeed in a complicated and turbulent marketplace.
Professional & Community Activities
Kentucky Bar Association Probate & Trust Section, Chair
Louisville Bar Association
The Louisville Ballet – Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 2018 – present
The WHAS Crusade for Children, Inc. – Board of Directors, 2018 – present
Brownsboro Alliance – Board of Directors, 2019 – present
University of Kentucky College of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors, past director
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
The Best Lawyers in America®, Trusts and Estates, 2021 – present
Kentucky Rising Stars® Honoree, 2018 – 2022
“Top Lawyers” by Louisville Magazine, 2016
- The Probate Process from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, CLE, Presenter, 2021
- Uniform Trust Code and Fiduciary Litigation Update, 47th Annual Midwest-Midsouth Estate Planning Institute, 2020
- Recent Developments in the Uniform Trust Code, 2nd Annual Estate Planning Conference: The Future of Estate Planning, Louisville Bar Association and KYCPA Society, 2020
- Oil and Gas Interest in Estate Administration, 46th Annual Midwest-Midsouth Estate Planning Institute, 2019
- Ethical Issues in the Representation of Fiduciaries, Southern Regional Meeting of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, 2017
- Ethical Issues in the Representation of Fiduciaries, 42nd Annual Midwest-Midsouth Estate Planning Institute, 2015
- Handling Debts and Creditor Claims and Probating Estates That Include a Business, Probate Boot Camp, NBI, 2015
We appreciate your interest in Stoll Keenon Ogden. If you are not a current client, do not include any confidential or secret information in your email. SKO may not have a duty or legal obligation to keep confidential any information that you provide to us (in person or electronically) until you become a client of the firm.
For your own protection, please do not send any information specific to your legal needs until you obtain approval from an SKO Attorney.